I grew up in Apple Valley, a neighboring city to Rosemount. When I was younger I spent many hours there and, if I am being honest, I never thought very much of it (I’ll admit this may be influenced by the fact that it was our rival school district). Now that I am back in the South Metro again, with kids, and also because they’ve made some great improvements, I am surprised to admit that I am in love with this city!
The Rosemount I remember growing up still isn’t anything special – the suburban sprawl that is County Road 42 with endless chain stores and strip malls – BUT downtown Rosemount with its nice balance of old buildings and new improvements make it a very charming city. You almost feel like you are in a small town, and not suburbia.
For my family, the highlight of the city is Central Park. It’s located right off of main street. There is a large parking lot adjacent to both the playground and the splash pad. It is really nice park, with a covered picnic shelter and plenty of water features. The park also boasts an outdoor amphitheater where there are live music performances and movies in the park during the summer. Central Park also hosts two of our favorite yearly events, Leprechaun Days and the Halloween Haunted Woods Trick-or-Treat Trail.
From Central Park you are within walking distance of many family-friendly spots if you want to spend time exploring the area.
- The Rosemount branch of the Dakota County library is right across the street. Great stop if you need to cool off after playing and calm down with a little story time.
- Restaurants – Hungry? Check out one of these..
- Carbone’s Pizza
- Morning Glory’s Bakery and Café
- Celts Irish Pub and Grill
- If you are up for a drive then there are endless options nearby
- Shopping – There are a few options by foot including a florist, a clothing boutique and my new favorite place Fluegel’s Farm, Garden and Pet.
- Fluegel’s is a great store! My cousin was the one who told me my kids would love it, and I’m so grateful for the tip! The store sells farm, garden and pet supplies, but they also have animals for sale. Any time my kids get to look at hamsters, mice, or rabbits they are happy! They have cats that roam the store so we spent some time seeking them out and then giving them a good pet. The store also has the largest selection of bird feeders and bird feed that I have seen, which makes me think I need to up my bird feeder game. Needles to say, I am already planning a return trip!
Rosemount is a wonderful city to take the family for a fun easy daytrip outing. There are plenty of options to keep you busy for an hour or many, many more.