The St. Paul Winter Carnival is happening January 26 thru February 5th. The Winter Carnival is a spectacular yearly event. Love it or hate it, winter is a part of life in Minnesota and the Winter Carnival is a great event to get out and celebrate winter! There are tons of family friendly activities going on the whole week. The fun crosses over the river this year, with the Great Northern Festival joining forces with St. Paul Winter Carnival to make most of the winter celebrations.
Here are a a few of our favorites:
- The Wells Fargo Winter Skate – possibly one of the most picturesque skating rinks ever. Skate next to the gorgeous Landmark Center. Skating is free and rentals are available. If you have a Wells Fargo card skate rental is free! On January 29th from 1pm-3pm you can skate with the Winter Carnival Junior Royalty, dressing up in your best princess attire is encouraged!
- Winter Carnival Music Series – A variety of musical acts will be playing in Rice park, including kid favorite Koo Koo Kangaroo who are playing on Tuesday January 31st. Grab some hot chocolate and jam to some tunes in the winter wonderland that is Rice park.
- Moon Glow Pedestrian Parade – January 26th, parade starts at 6pm. Bring anything you have that lights up and join the parade!
- Minnesota State Snow Sculpting Competition – Head over to the State Fair grounds and see some amazing works of art sculpted from snow! They also have a pretty awesome snow slide that you can sled down, $2 per ride. The slide is open January 27-Feb 4.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Contest – January 28th from 8am-11:30am. Get a team of family or friends together and join the competition at the Landmark Center.
- Orchid Show – When you need to escape the cold, the Orchid Show at the Como conservatory is a perfect tropical escape!
- Saint Paul Hotel Hot Chocolate – Another place to escape if you need to warm up is the Saint Paul Hotel. They will be serving hot chocolate in the lobby for a small fee.
- McDonald’s Grand Day Parade – January 28th at 2pm
- Minnesota Lynx Kids Day – January 28th 2pm-6pm. Have fun playing inside the Landmark Center. There will be activities sponsored by the YMCA, vendors and other activities going on.
- The Saint Paul Bouncing Team is holding their tryouts during the Winter Carnival, on Friday February 3rd from 6pm-9pm and it is free and open to the public to watch! The bouncing team is always a favorite in parades and this is your chance to get see them up close instead of craning your neck as they march past in a parade!
- Doggie Depot – February 4th 10am-1pm. Calling all dog lovers!
- Winter Carnival Family Day – February 4th 12mp-5pm. Another great family day inside the Landmark Center
- Vulcan Victory Torchlight Parade – February 4th at 5:30pm. Torchlight Night in Rice Park follows and there is a fireworks show at 7:30pm!
- S. Pond Hockey Championships on Lake Nokomis January 26-29
- City Of Lakes Loppet on Lake Calhoun. The Luminary Loppet is on February 4th. Even if you aren’t skiing, the luminary loppet is a sight to see!