Today was the fourth snow day of the year! It’s too cold to go outside and everyone is starting to get a little stir crazy. Time to pull out some fun activities to keep the kids occupied.
This is for all of the parents who find themselves stuck in the house with the kids again, or anyone who just doesn’t want to leave the house today because it’s a coffee and comfy pants kind of day…
Fun activities to do with the kids from the comfort of the couch!
1. STEM Science Lab
Create a science lab at home for the kids to explore.
- Baking soda, vinegar and food coloring is a fun way for kids to learn about chemical reactions.
- Practice mixing colors in different ways. We made colored foam with 2 tbs dish soap, food coloring, & 1/4 cup water. Use a hand mixer to blend the soap and water until a foam is created.
2. Kid’s Baking Championship
- Choose a theme (cupcakes, cookies, sandwiches, ice cream sundaes…)
- Have each person choose a recipe and create a shopping list.
- Buy your ingredients (To make it a true adventure from the couch be sure to order your food from Amazon’s Prime Now, and have your food delivered to your door in 2 hours!) Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering (Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Each person will create their own creation based on the chosen theme.
- Finally, taste each masterpiece and declare a winner! If you don’t want be the judge, invite a neighbor over to “help”. You can create multiple categories, too, if you want to have more than one opportunity to win (e.g. taste, decoration, creativity)
3. Build a Fort or Go Camping Indoors
- Find a small, cheap pop-up tent and set up camp inside. Or, pull out the couch cushions and blankets to build your own fort.
- Fill it with pillows, blankets, stuffed animals and toys.
- Have the kids pack an adventure bag with a flashlight, games and snacks.
- For a real camping experience, make s’mores on the stove or in the microwave. This awesome s’mores maker (Amazon affiliate link) is a fun way to make s’mores with the kids all year!
- Another fun snack option is this yummy s’mores trail mix. It’s super easy for kids to make and delicious!
S’mores Trail Mix
- 3 cups graham cracker cereal, graham cracker pieces or Teddy Grahams
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1.5 cups chocolate chips
Additional options: M&Ms, raisins, dried cranberries, mini peanut butter cups
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and enjoy!
After a fun day of playing, let the kids sleep in the tent or fort at night
4. Have an elegant tea party or hot chocolate party
- Have your child create invitations for the tea party.
- Set the table with fancy dishes and yummy treats.
- Dress up and enjoy the party!
5. Host an art show
- Learn about different artists online.
- Have the kids create their own masterpieces inspired by famous artist’s work. Learn in Color and Messy Little Monster have some great art activities inspired by famous artists.
- Display their work throughout the house and serve juice and hors devours while you enjoy the art show.
6. Declare today to be Pirate Day!
- Dress up like pirates (make newspaper pirate hats and telescopes)
- Turn the couch into a boat and put the pillows on the floor. Jump from pillow to pillow to avoid the crocodiles!
- Fill a container with treasure (candy, coins, or a new toy) and hide it. Give the kids a map and have them search for the buried treasure.
- Write letters on jewels or plastic coins and hide them in sand or dry rice. Make an Alphabet Treasure Map with an upcycled paper bag.
- Paint your own treasure box ($1 from Michaels Craft Store)
7. Ninja Warrior Course
Create an indoor ninja warrior course with painter’s tape, pillows, chairs. These websites have some great ideas for indoor obstacle courses.
- DIY obstacle course from Fatherly
- String Laser Maze from My Kids Adventures
8. Minute to Win It Game Day
Minute to Win It Games are fun, quick games that your kids will love!
- Teach Mama has a wonderful list of games that are great for all ages.
- Frugal Fun for Boys Minute to Win it games are easy to set up and a ton of fun!
- Simply Kinder has 7 easy minute to win it for younger kids.